Defining Your Target Audience
Knowing your brand’s target audience in essential to creating effective campaigns which will contribute to your business’ success. Having a clear definition of your brand’s target audience will not only help you communicate your message with your customers, but it will also help make them feel connected to your brand. But first, what is a target audience?
What is a Target Audience?
The target audience is the specific group of people that a brand’s marketing campaigns aim to reach. These are the set of people that a business’ advertisements are directed to. They are the potential customers of a business and are characterized by their purchase behaviour, interests and specific demographics. It is important to have a defined target audience in creating marketing messages that resonate with customers and potential customers.
The target audience also influences the decision making for marketing strategy in creating appealing marketing campaigns and what product or service to offer the customers. It is also important in making decisions of where to allocate money on every advertisement campaign.
Types of Target Audience
It is also important to know the different types of target audience which is helpful in locating the correct audience. A brand’s audience can be segmented into particular groups and categories such as:
- Purchase intention – these are the type of consumers who are more likely to research a product or service before actually making a purchase. Examples of these are customers who are looking into buying a new gadget such as a laptop or the latest pair of headphones. This data is necessary in order for businesses to better direct their messages to their audience.
- Interests – this data shows what customers want so businesses can better present a product or service that meets customers’ demands. Having the knowledge of customers’ interests will help create marketing messages that helps connect with the audience. This data also reveals the buyer motivation and the buying behaviour.
- Subculture – these are the set of people who connect through shared experiences, values beliefs, preferences and buying habits. Members of subcultures have a clear set of preferences to adhere to their lifestyle such as in their diets, clothes, products and services.
How to Find Your Target Audience
- Get data about your customers through Google Analytics
Learning more about your current customers will not only help businesses meet their customers’ demands but will also help them align their marketing efforts to the interests of their consumers. Using Google Analytics is a great tool to get more information about the demographics of a business’ customers and target audience. The tool also shows insights on who visits the website and other crucial information such as their age, location, language, purchasing power and patter, interests and lifestyle.
2. Create a reader persona
The key to creating great content is to understand what the readers are like. A reader persona is a brief description of a brand’s average reader based on data, values, needs, problems and interests. Knowing this will help create great content that will resonate with the audience and makes a brand’s writing and messages more targeted and powerful.
3. Utilise your social media analytics
A business’ social media account can tell a few crucial information regarding its followers. It can tell the brand when their followers are most engaged in their social media channels which will then direct the best time to post social media content. It could also show what kind of content the followers engage in most through the number of likes, shares and comments. It is also important to know that different social media platforms have different audiences, hence, it will require different types of content that suit the audience. Social media analytics can show who are the audience and what kind of content works and what does not work.
Defining your target market is a very important step for any business. The target market is an important building block in making the marketing strategy, developing products and services and in helping direct the marketing message to the right audience. It helps a brand dominate the niche market they are in!
At Marketing On Wheels, we help you reach your business’ target audience through dynamic outdoor advertising and give you insights on how your ad campaigns’ performance through our analytics tool. If you want to build your brand and effectively reach your target audience, contact us today!